CLAREMONT, Calif. - The Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team defeated Haverford 9-0 on Wednesday night, extending the Stags' shutout streak to five matches. Five seniors, playing in their final matches ever at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center, led the Stags one last time in 2020. With the NCAA's decision to cancel all remaining winter and spring championships due to the coronavirus, CMS concludes its 2020 campaign with a 14-1 record and ranked No. 2 in Division III.
Senior Nikolai Parodi continued to emphatically make his case as the best player in Division III, pairing at No. 1 doubles with first year Ian Freer for an 8-3 win, and then delivering his sixth straight singles victory at the top spot. Parodi completes a truncated season 11-3 with Freer and 15-3 in singles, all played exclusively at No. 1. Daniel Park was similarly impressive at No. 2 doubles and No. 3 singles on Wednesday. His lopsided wins gave him five straight in doubles with three different partners, and kept him undefeated in singles dual matches at 8-0. The remaining trio of seniors - Matthew Jacobs, Jake Williams, and Jake Berber - each contributed singles and doubles wins in the Stags' shutout. Berber got the clinch at No. 6 singles, preserving his clean slate in singles dual match play for 2020, while Williams notched his 21st career singles dual match win without a loss at No. 5. Jacobs earned CMS' final point of the night with a closely contested 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 4. The only non-senior in the singles starting lineup was Jack Katzman at No. 2. Katzman won his fourth straight and 14th on the season in two easy sets.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Haverford (0)
March 11, 2020 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Nikolai Parodi / Ian Freer (CMS) def. David Kong / Kevin Yan (Haverford) 8-3
2. Jake Berber / Daniel Park (CMS) def. George Jiang / Pranav Krishnan (Haverford) 8-3
3. Matthew Jacobs / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Patrick Kley / Robert Kresch (Haverford) 8-2
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Kevin Yan (Haverford) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. David Kong (Haverford) 6-2, 6-0
3. Daniel Park (CMS) def. George Jiang (Haverford) 6-0, 6-1
4. Matthew Jacobs (CMS) def. Pranav Krishnan (Haverford) 6-3, 7-5
5. Jake Williams (CMS) def. Robert Kresch (Haverford) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jake Berber (CMS) def. Arnav Patodia (Haverford) 6-1, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 3, 6, 1, 2, 5, 4