Stags Shutout Whittier and Clark to Complete Weekend Sweep
CLAREMONT, Calif. - The No. 2-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team earned two more shutout victories on Saturday, defeating SCIAC opponent Whittier and non-conference foe Clark University, to complete 27 individual match wins in a 24 hour period. Five CMS players - Nic Meister, Ethan Carroll, Casey Morris, Daniel Park, and Jake Williams - contributed three wins each, and the Stags moved to 12-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play.
The Stags got their fifth and sixth doubles sweeps of the season, with Meister anchoring two No. 1 teams. Against Whittier, Meister and Morris shook off a slow start to win 8-2 for CMS' fisrt point of the day. Meister returned in the afternoon match with Park at the top spot, and the pair won their second dual match of the spring together in a tie-break. Park was also a winner with Williams at No. 2 doubles against Whittier, while Williams paired with Habbestad at No. 3 against Clark. Morris partnered senior Jake Berber at No. 2 doubles against Clark.
The Stags' singles performance against Whittier and Clark was among the most dominant in recent memory. Against the Poets, CMS yielded only thirteen games in six singles matches. Against Clark, the Stags won all but two games in six singles matches, not yielding a single service break in the afternoon singles. Carroll's straight set wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles improve his record to 9-1 overall and 5-0 in dual matches.
CMS travels to the 131st Annual Pacific Coast Doubles Championship next weekend in La Jolla, where the Stags will field seven doubles pairs. The Stags will take on No. 11 Washinton University St. Louis on Saturday at 6:00 PM at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club for their next dual match.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Whittier (0)
February 29, 2020 at Whittier, CA (Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts)
1. Casey Morris / Nic Meister (CMS) def. Pim Van Der Veer / Maxwell Koszowski (WC) 8-2
2. Daniel Park / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Matthew Yannuck / Rafael Maniego (WC) 8-3
3. Ethan Carroll / Michael Hao (CMS) def. Ian Ross / Zach Amprosio (WC) 8-4
1. Nic Meister (CMS) def. Pim Van Der Veer (WC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ian Freer (CMS) def. Sam Whitehill (WC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ethan Carroll (CMS) def. Matthew Yannuck (WC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Michael Hao (CMS) def. Maxwell Koszowski (WC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Matthew Jacobs (CMS) def. Zach Amprosio (WC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jake Berber (CMS) def. Rafael Maniego (WC) 6-1, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 2, 6, 1, 4, 5, 3
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Clark University (0)
February 29, 2020 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Nic Meister / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Chris Ruebens / Dariy Vykhodtsev (CU) 8-7(3)
2. Jake Berber / Casey Morris (CMS) def. Max Schweitzer / Jack Han (CU) 8-2
3. Jake Williams / Ian Habbestad (CMS) def. Alexander Hattenbach / Matt Lee (CU) 8-2
1. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Nicholas Mathieu (CU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Chris Ruebens (CU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Casey Morris (CMS) def. Max Schweitzer (CU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ethan Carroll (CMS) def. Dariy Vykhodtsev (CU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Jake Williams (CMS) def. Jack Han (CU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ian Habbestad (CMS) def. Alexander Hattenbach (CU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 5, 6, 2, 1, 3, 4