CLAREMONT, Calif. - No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis defeated Division II Western New Mexico 5-2 on Tuesday. The two teams completed the dual match that began on Sunday evening but was suspended by rain, with the deciding No. 3 doubles even at 5-all. Juniors Jake Berber (CMC) and Jake Williams (HMC) earned a break of serve on the first point of the resumed match, and then Williams served out the match to give CMS a 1-0 advantage heading into the singles.
Playing the Division II format of no-ad scoring, no-lets, and seven total points rather than the nine in Division III, the Stags needed at least three singles wins in order to secure the dual match victory. Freshman Nic Meister (CMC) was first off for CMS, holding on for a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 6. Sophomore Robert Liu (CMC) put the Stags up 3-0 with the day's most lopsided result at the No. 2 position. After Western New Mexico got their first win at No. 3 singles, freshman Ethan Carroll (HMC) then clinched the victory for CMS with a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-1, (10-1) win at No. 4 singles. Senior Avinash Vemuri (CMC) earned the Stags' fifth and final point with his 3-6, 6-3, (10-4) win at No. 5 singles.
CMS moves to 7-0 on the season and will co-host the Stag-Hen Invitational, March 15-16. CMS will face No. 26 Skidmore in the opening round at 10 AM on Friday, March 15. In the 3 PM second round, the Stags will take on either No. 12 Gustavus Adolphus or No. 18 Sewanee. Both Friday matches will take place at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Final round play will take place on Saturday, March 16 at 10 AM. Also competing in this year's Stag-Hen: No. 11 Pomona-Pitzer, No. 31 Swarthmore, No. 39 Southwestern, and No. 3 Bowdoin.
#6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. Western New Mexico (2)
March 10 and 12, 2019 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Joaquin Delpino / Liam Fraboulet (WNM) def. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 6-4
2. Oscar Burney / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Niko Barr / Tanaka Chabata (WNM) 6-1
3. Jake Berber / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Joel Ockernahl / Oscar Serra (WNM) 7-5
1. Liam Fraboulet (WNM) def. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
2. Robert Liu (CMS) def. Joaquin Delpino (WNM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Joel Ockernahl (WNM) def. Matthew Jacobs (CMS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Ethan Carroll (CMS) def. Oscar Serra (WNM) 4-6, 6-1, (10-1)
5. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) def. Niko Barr (WNM) 3-6, 6-3, (10-4)
6. Nic Meister (CMS) def. Tanaka Chabata (WNM) 6-2, 6-4
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 6, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1