CLAREMONT, Calif. – No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps moved to 5-0 on the season with a 7-2 win over No. 29 Swarthmore on Thursday night at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. After trailing 2-1 after doubles, CMS did not lose a set in singles to pull away from the Garnet. The dual match was played using an experimental modified Division I format, where all singles and doubles matches were played using no-ad scoring.
CMS' lone doubles win came at the No. 1 position, where sophomore Julian Gordy (CMC) and senior Daniel Morkovine (CMC) got out to an early 3-0 lead and never looked back, completing an 8-2 victory to give the Stags a 1-0 lead. However, CMS' No. 2 and No. 3 teams could not convert on a combined six deuce points, which made the difference in Swarthmore's wins at both positions.
Trailing 2-1, the Stags looked to Gordy to be the catalyst at No. 5 singles. His 6-2, 6-1 win in under an hour pulled CMS even, then senior Max Macey (CMC) put the Stags ahead for good with another straight set win at No. 6. Seniors Glenn Hull (CMC) and Morkovine faced tough competition in their respective first sets at the top two singles positions. Hull needed service holds at 4-5 and 5-6, and then won the first six points of the tiebreaker before prevailing 7-6(3). Morkovine needed service breaks down 4-3 and 5-4, and then got his third break at 5-6 to win the set 7-5. In a race to finish first, Morkovine won his second set 6-0 just moments before Hull's 6-1 win at No. 1.
CMS takes on No. 7 Carnegie Mellon (6-6) at 10 a.m. and West Region opponent Hardin-Simmons (5-3) at 4 p.m in a double header on Sunday, March 12 at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. No. 29 Swarthmore (2)
March 9, 2017 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Daniel Morkovine / Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Mark Fallati / Josh Powell (Swarthmore) 8-2
2. Ari Cepelewicz / Thomas Vernier (Swarthmore) def. Glenn Hull / Jay Yeam (CMS) 8-5
3. John Larkin / Blake Oetting (Swarthmore) def. Jake Berber / Daniel Park (CMS) 8-6
1. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Mark Fallati (Swarthmore) 7-6(3), 6-1
2. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. John Larkin (Swarthmore) 7-5, 6-0
3. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Simon Vernier (Swarthmore) 6-4, 6-2
4. Patrick Wildman (CMS) def. Josh Powell (Swarthmore) 6-3, 6-3
5. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Ari Cepelewicz (Swarthmore) 6-2, 6-1
6. Max Macey (CMS) def. Thomas Vernier (Swarthmore) 6-1, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 5, 6, 2, 1, 3, 4
CMS Email Updates
CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
CMS Tennis on Twitter: @CMSTennis
CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
CMS Athletics YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps